Sunday 23 January 2011

Poem - Keeping It Real For Me


Keep It Real For Me!
In my moment of clarity
I see past my poverty
I’m not talking bout having things that are monetary
I’m trying to set myself free
Escape the madness and stress in this world
And thorns of hate which round my heart curled
Life aint always been easy for this girl
Wasn’t raised wrapped up like a precious pearl
Refuse to walk through this life blinded by illusion
Fed up of my body being invaded by intrusion
I know where I’ve been and where I wanna go
Don’t think you can stop me by labelling me a hoe.
You fail to impress me with the cars and the bling,
Trying to keep me prisoner with a solitaire ring
You can’t drape me in Gucci
Aint no designer hoochie
You can’t fumble in my bra
In the back of your car
I’m elevating myself beyond all of this
No longer fooled by false words or a sweet kiss
Whoever dropped the line ignorance is bliss
Has never felt the pain of this young Miss
Found hurt and pain at such a young age
But I’ve put that behind me and turned the page
A new chapter to begin, This battle I shall win
Not a physical fight, but one from within
At times we are our own worst enemy
But I’ve chosen to be the best friend of me
Forsaking all others and doing for self,
Keeping It Real – For ME! 

© I. Charles 2005