Sunday 23 January 2011

Worthy Cause - The My Purple Pledge 2011 Campaign

Epilepsy.......

How many of us actually know what this is? 

As a child I remember reading in a booklet for a game on my Sega Game Gear (Old Skool Baybee) that the lights in the game could cause an epileptic fit and I turned to my Mum slightly scared by this and she said I had to actually have the condition called Epilepsy first. At the time I just kinda breathed a sigh of relief and was eager to get to kicking some ass with Sonic! 

But one day, I'll have children...what if one of them has Epilepsy?! Do I now at age 27 know what it is?! If I'm honest, I previously didn't.

Then I was asked if I could do a post regarding a campaign called "The My Purple Pledge" campaign and I felt it was as good a time as any to open my mind to something that 60, 000 children and young people in the UK are affected by. I found this website most useful in getting to know about Epilepsy.

But the question remains.... 
"What is The My Purple Pledge Campaign?"
It runs from March to May 2011 with "Purple Day" being March 26th 2011. The campaign is led by Insight2Marketing on behalf of  the National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy (NCYPE) who's aim is to "help create better futures for young lives with epilepsy" with the campaign bringing a very worthy cause to the attention of the masses. They will however need our help!

"How Can I Help The 'My Purple Pledge Campaign'?"
In any way you are able to help raise funds and/or awareness! Bake sales, Purple Themed Parties, Sponsored Silences, Wearing Purple Outfits/Clothing Items, Bike Rides, Running Marathons, Posting Blogs, Sharing Tweets....Let your imagination run free and each one can reach one! 

(I'm currently contemplating a Sponsored Non-Tweet Day or Weekend - now you KNOW that's gonna be hard for me)

The official website for "The Purple Pledge Campaign" launches THIS week and so will be able to answer a lot of questions and fill any gaps I may have missed. You'll be able to find it at http://www.mypurplepledge.com 

For those of you on Twitter, Follow the Campaign HERE and use the hashtag #mypurplepledge

Also check out the NCYPE website